Establishment of the Council
- Council of the Institute is established under section 11 of the Act
Objects of the Council
- The Council of the Institute is responsible for the management and the control of the affairs of the Institute.
Powers and functions of the Council
- The management and the control of the affairs of the Institute are vested in the Council.
- In carrying out the objects, functions and powers of the Institute, the Council shall be responsible for the following –
- act as the executive body and governing arm of the Institute;
- perform the objects, functions and powers of the Institute conferred by the Act or any other written law; and
- carry out any direction or resolution which may be given or passed by the Institute at a meeting of members.
Adherence to good governance principles
- The Council shall perform its duties in accordance with best practice standards of good governance which recognises the principle of separation of oversight of Institute performance from that of day to day management of operations.
- In observing standards of good governance the Council shall adhere to the guidelines set out in Schedule 4.
Membership of the Council
- There shall be a President of the Institute and a Vice President of the Institute and other members of the Council all of whom shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting of the members of the Institute.
- On being elected, the President, Vice President and other members shall hold office for a term of one year and, subject to the rules in Schedule 5, are eligible for re-election at the expiry of such term.
- No person may be elected as the President, Vice President or other member of the Council unless the person is a member of the Institute and is of good financial standing within the Institute.
- The Council shall appoint ex officio the incumbent Auditor General and Accountant General as co-opted members of the Council and such co-opted members have the right to deliberate and vote on any matter before the Council.
Operation of the Council
The Council shall operate in accordance with the rules set out in Schedule 5.